History of St Augustine's Church Locking
The Parish Church of St Augustine dates from the 14th century
and is a Grade II listed building. It stands on a hill above
a valley by the Mendip Hills and has views towards the nearby
coast. There has been a church here for over 800 years.
The first written mention of the church comes
in 1217 in a charter concerning gifts by a wealthy resident
of 'Lokyng' to canons of nearby Woodspring Priory. an Augustinian
priory founded to commemorate Thomas à Becket. The Prior
and Convent of Woodspring were patrons of the church until the
priory's dissolution in 1536 during the Reformation in the reign
of King Henry VIII.
Of the Norman church fabric the font is the sole
remaining part. The font has carvings characteristic of Celtic
art from the 11th century, and the figures at the corners are
dressed in armour of the style of Richard I (1189–1199).The
oldest part of the church visible today is the tower, which
was built in 1380
WHO WAS ST AUGUSTINE ?
There were two St Augustines - St Augustine of Hippo (354-430)
who was born in Numidia (now part of Algeria) and became a noted
doctrinal theologian in Carthage and Rome, but it was most probably
St Augustine of Canterbury (c. 550 - 604) to whom Locking's
church was dedicated.
Augustine of Canterbury was born in Rome and became the first
archbishop of Canterbury. Pope Gregory 1st, sent him to England
from the monastery of St Andrew in Rome to convert the Anglo-Saxons
When Augustine and his company of monks reached
Aix-en-Provence, they were so terrified by reports of the savage
islanders that Augustine returned to Rome for permission to
give up the attempt, but Gregory refused. A favourable circumstance,
which they were unaware of, was that Bertha, the wife of Ethelbert,
the Saxon king of Kent, was a Christian.
Augustine landed at Thanet in Kent in 597. There
Ethelbert received the embassy, listened patiently to Augustine's
sermon, and promised the monks shelter and protection at Canterbury,
where a residence was assigned to them. On June 2, 597, Ethelbert
was baptized, and thereafter the new faith spread rapidly among
the Anglo-Saxons. Augustine was made a bishop and given authority
over all future English bishops. In about 603 he tried, unsuccessfully,
to achieve uniformity in liturgy and practices between the Celtic
and Roman Churches. His feast day is May 28.
PARISH OF LOCKING
Although the Parish of Locking is small, it can boast a long
history. Before Christianity came to this area, there was a
permanent settlement within the boundaries of the present Parish.
With the arrival of the Romans wooden huts were replaced by
stone buildings. A farm built by the Romans has been uncovered
at the nearby former Royal Air Force Station. When the Roman
legions withdrew in 410 A.D. paganism forced a firm foothold
and Christianity largely disappeared in Central and Eastern
England. However, in Scotland, Wales and the South West, the
Celtic Church flourished. Gradually the Saxons pushed further
towards the Atlantic and in 658 A.D. annexed Somerset, but by
that time they had been converted to Christianity.
The name "Locking" has a Saxon derivation probably
meaning 'Locc's people", and it was in this Saxon period that
the Church and village grew. Very little concerning the first
thousand years after Christ is known with any certainty, but
it may be that in place of a Church there was a preaching cross
where villagers could hear the gospel preached by a visiting
preacher. If such a cross did exist, no trace of it remains
today, though it is possible that the ornamentation on Locking
Church Font was copied from the cross. It can be seen from the
list of vicars that there were many in Locking before 1380,
but it is not known if they had a Church there.
In 1210 Woodspring Priory in Kewstoke, Weston-super-Mare,
was founded by William de Courtenoi, and Geoffrey Gilbwyne donated
"the manor of Lokyng and all belonging to it" to this priory.
Woodspring was owned by The Order of St. Victor which was a
sub-division of The Order of St. Augustine, and since Locking
Church is dedicated to this Saint it is reasonable to assume
that Monks from the Priory founded the Church soon after. The
present Church consists for the most part of 19th Century restoration
with the tower dating for 1380 the oldest part. In 1814 - 1815
extensive repairs including the addition of the North aisle
were carried out at a cost of £233.3s.6d financed by the
Merchant Venturers of Bristol who were patrons of the church
and owned much of the village and surrounding land at the time.
the most fascinating part of the church is the font. The carving
and inter-twined serpents in the panels are characteristic of
Celtic art, placing it in the 11th century. However, the figures
at the corners are dressed in armour of the style of Richard
I (1189 - 1199). A few years ago, it was suggested that their
costume is characteristic of Henry V (1413 - 1422) because of
the head-dresses of the figures are those which were worn at
that time. These head-dresses were cut off during alterations
in the last century, when the rim of the font was reduced in
height to make it level. But it is possible that the changes
were made on the figures to keep costumes up to date with the
styles of the time, and the Church built in 1380 might have
replaced an earlier Church built in either the 11th or late
12th Century. The font stands beneath the tower, but this was
not its original place. The south side lacks ornamentation,
and therefore this would have been facing a wall. Also it originally
stood on one pillar, part of which was found in the Churchyard
recently. The four corner pillars were added in the 19th century
to ease the weight on the corners.
The tower is a fine example of the towers for which Somerset
is famous, and from the top one has a splendid view of the surrounding
countryside It is the highest point in the Parish. It was built
in 1380 and therefore is the oldest part of the outside Church
fabric. The trefoil parapet which surmounts the tower had to
be partly restored in 1965 and most recently in 2002.
There are six bells in the tower, two of which were cast at
Bridgwater. An old beam in the porch dated 1631 and taken from
the belfry bares the name of John Pumley, Lord of the Manor.
The old door on the inside of the stairs leading to the top
of the tower is the original. One bell is inscribed "I to Church
the living call and to the grave I summon all". The sixth bell
was added to commemorate victory in the 2nd World War and appropriately
called the 'Victory Bell'.
The pulpit is one of the finest in the county, although now
"marred by gaudy paint" (quotation from F. A. Knight in "Seaboard
of Mendip"). Since there are five other octagonal stone pulpits
in other churches in the local vicinity it is likely that they
are the work of one school of craftsmen. Beneath the Victorian
paint, traces of what may be original colouring can be seen,
and the pulpit may have been gaily painted with vegetable dye
when first carved in about 1480.
The Lord's Table was probably made about 1814, the four legs
matching the classic columns in the nave.
There was an old chest in the Church dating back to the 17th
century. It contained Parish records from that date, and these
contain many items of local interest. For example, six pence
was given to Englishmen who had been robbed by pirates. There
was also an old map in the vestry on vellum dated 1800, which
shows the village with just thirteen houses.
In 1969 when a new heating system was put in the Church, a plaque
covering a grave was discovered at the back of the Church. It
is dated 1704. There is also a War Memorial plaque to a villager
who died in the 1914 - 1918 war. The Lych gate was erected in
1910 by the Parishioners in memory of the Rev A. Woodforde vicar
of the Parish from 1894 - 1909.
The stained glass windows are in the main Victorian and are
good examples of this period. There is one more recent window.
There are a collection of biblical texts painted on the walls
above the nave archway, doors and windows. The Ten Commandments
on either side of the communion table were scripted in 1804.
This was done by Locking Woodworking Class, run by Miss Gimingham
of Locking Manor, and completed between 1914 - 17. A number
of parishioners carved separate panels, their names can be seen
on the panels.
The inside of the churchwas renovated in 1986,
including removal of the choir stalls and front rows of pews.
Recent redecoration was carried out in 2010.
The Church Is a House of Prayer, worship and witness,
not just a museum. People in each generation need to know the
peace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship
of the Holy Spirit.
Vicars of Locking
1319 Richard de Lincumb
1325 Henry de Cary
1333 Walter de Sanford
1347 Walter Aleyn
1440 John Wylton
1445 Heny Crakul
1445 John Baker
1455 John Gefferey
1459 William Grendham
1475 John Feyland
1477 Odo Odellan
1478 David ap Griffith
1498 Christopher Gomulton
1500 Robert Paunton
1501 Thomas Lewys
1505 John Batturyl
1524 Thomas Dey
1557 Nicholas Balland
1557 Philip Howell
1561 Thomas Sharpan
1573 Paul Methwyn
1579 John Printoste
1598 John Lawe
1608 Simon Coote
1618 Robert Vizer A.M.
1643 John Hellier A.B.
1671 Edward Wooton
1675 Joseph Franklyn
1693 John Millar A.M.
1732 Richard Rocke A.B.
1742 Richard Tuthill
1781 William Camplin M.A.
1812 William Dowell M.A.
1824 Alfred Harford B.A.
1857 George Henry Law M.A.
1876 Harry O'Connor M.A.
1880 Willian Clifton-Mogg M.A.
1887 Arthur Birth Sayce M.A.
1894 Alexander John Woodforde B.A.
1910 Geoge Frderick Jackson M.A.
1914 Arthur Edward Love M.A.
1939 Francis Dance M.B.E.
1942 Eric James Hood
1946 Thomas Henry Bland M.A.
1948 Cecil Copp Harcourt B.A,
1953 Denis Harold Tongue M.A
1967 Alfred Ronald Good
1976 John Hedley Mardon
1991 Michael Clifford Cotterell B.A.
1999 Christoper J.S. Turner
2007 Anne Lee & Richard Lee
Reminiscences of Locking
Personal reminiscence of Locking and St Augustine's
written by William Henry Parsons who was born in Locking in
1865 can be found here
History of Rev
Alexander John Woodforde, (1839-1909) Vicar of St Augustines
Locking for 15 years. He is buried inthe churchyard and commemorated
on the Church Lych Gate.